BLOG HAS MOVED

Our blog has now moved!!!! Please go to http://nativedigital.co.uk/site/blog

17 Nov 2010

Sharpness of text on small, high resolution screens

I had an email from a potential customer today - we had been discussing suitable monitors for them (non-professional photographer with an upper limit of £500 - monitor also has to be suitable for general office work etc).

We'd come down to the Eizo S2243W being the most appropriate choice for them and they asked about the size and sharpness of text - the concern being that displaying 1920 x 1200 pixels on a 22" screen may mean text is too small.

As I personally use one of these screens as my day-to-day monitor, I thought I'd just take a photo of the display with a reference point (a biro in this case).



As you can see, I've used quite a small font size, but it's incredibly clear and sharp - the slight diagonal line or moiré effect is just a clash between the refresh rate of the screen and the shutter speed on my compact camera - you don't see this on screen with the naked eye!

My Eizo display is connected to a MacBook Pro 13" using a Kanex MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor and then a standard DVI cable. With this resolution, we'd always recommend using a fully digital connection as analog (VGA) connections, whilst possible, have a higher chance of signal degradation which can result in some 'fuzziness' particularly with text.

Update (Jan 11) - I now use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to link my Mac to the DisplayPort connection on the monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is now CLOSED and comments are DISABLED (sorry dear spammers and spambots!).

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.